SUP Yoga Training FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can get JBYoga SUP YOGA certified?
Any one who wants to become a better paddler or has a desire to deepen their SUP yoga practice can get certified.
Are there any age restrictions?
Minimum age to get JBYoga SUP YOGA certified is 18. This is for insurance purposes.
Do I have to have a lot of experience on a SUP or doing yoga?
Not necessarily. You will get the most out of your experience if you have some experience on a paddleboard, however, we have had very ambitious Yoga teachers BRAND NEW to SUP take our certification course and they have been amazing! We have also had students who are not yet Yoga teachers and are not super experienced Yogis also do great. As long as the passion is there, that’s all we ask.
Do I need to have my 200-hour yoga training or any other fitness instructor certifications?
No, there are no certifications required as pre-requisites to the JBYoga certification. However, if you want to be a JBYoga SUP YOGA affiliate and begin teaching the JBYoga classes you will need to show proof of having your (or being in the process of getting) your 200hr RYT (registered yoga teacher) through Yoga Alliance.
What exactly does the JBYoga teacher training certification get me?
Once you complete the JBYoga SUP YOGA teacher training, you will have a new depth of knowledge on proper paddle technique, water rescue skills and JBYoga SUP YOGA teacher training manual will be yours to keep and you will also receive 18 hours of Yoga Alliance continuing education credits. Upon successful completion you will also be a World Paddle Association Class 1 SUP instructor.
So, after I get certified I can begin teaching JBYoga classes?
In order to teach the branded JBYoga classes and use the name and class sequence you will need to become a JBYoga affiliate.
What do I need to do to become a JBYoga affiliate?
You need to successfully complete the JBYoga teacher training, submit your 200hr RYT certification, show proof of prior teaching experience, submit your CPR certification and the signed affiliate agreement and statement of interest.
Is there a fee to become a JBYoga affiliate?
Yes, the annual fee to maintain your JBYoga affiliation in 2016 is $75.
What do I get for being a JBYoga Affiliate?
- Ability to brand your JBYoga classes with the JBYoga logo
- Access to monthly JBYoga newsletters
- Discount pricing for ALL JBYoga trainings (including a 200 HR Yoga Alliance Certified Teacher Training), classes at JBYoga Studio in East Hampton, NY, workshops, events and retreats.
- Access to exclusive deals with JBYoga brand partners (Boga Board, Graced BY Grit, The OM Collection, Mi Ola Surf, Werner Paddles, etc)
- Presence on JBYoga website with a link to your business website
- Cross Promotion on JBYoga’s social media outlets and e-mail distributions (including one dedicated eblast and FB post announcing your affiliation)
- Marketing & PR support from JBYoga (with 20 years of experience teaching both Yoga and SUP and running a yoga studio and retreat business)
Once I become a JBYoga affiliate can I begin teaching branded JBYoga classes at my facility immediately?
Yes! As soon as all of your paperwork is submitted you can begin to teach and promote your JBYoga classes.
What should I bring with me to the training?
- Dri-fit workout gear
- Yoga mat
- Beach towel
- Water bottles
- Snacks—We will have a short lunch break so if you need to run out and buy lunch you can, it might be best to bring your own lunch
- Notebook & pen
- Sunscreen (Eo-friendly please)
- At certain trainings, a wetsuit, spring suit, wetsuit top and booties may be needed but ask me first!